1) Eight people want to play a 48-minute game as a team but only a team of exactly five is allowed to play. However, during the game, a player may be replaced by someone else. Suppose each
of the eight people plays in the game for the same amount of time. How many minutes will each of the eight people play?
2) A certain brand of sardines is usually sold at 3 cans for $2. Suppose the price is changed to 4 cans for $2.50. Will the new cost for 12 cans be more or less than the usual cost for 12 cans, and
by how much?
3) A work crew of 3 people requires 3 weeks and 2 days to do a certain job. How long would it take a work crew of 4 people to do the same job if each person of both crews works at the same rate
as each of the others? Note: each week contains six work days.
1) Since the game-time is 48 minutes, the total playing time for the five active players is 5 x 48 = 240 minutes. If eight players share the total playing time, each player will play 240/8 = 30 minutes.
2) The cost of 12 cans at the old rate was 4 x $2 or $8. The cost of 12 cans at the new rate was 3 x $2.50 or $7.50. The new price for 12 cans is $0.50 less than the old price for 12 cans.
3) Each person of the work crew of three people worked 20 days. Thus the number of individual work days needed to do the job was 60. Then each member of the work crew of four people must
work 15 days in order to provide a total of 60 individual work days.